Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Teaching Hope: Anticipation

The second story stuck out to me because I definitely see myself as the teacher who would want to make sure everything is absolutely perfect for the first day of school. I’ve always been the type of person that wants to be ready to go from day one. There is nothing more comforting than everything being in its place. I also liked the part about starting with a clean slate. Sometimes halfway through a semester, I find myself wishing I had done things differently. This leads to me wanting to start off on the right foot for the following semester. I think it’s important to know that you really can start off with a clean slate. It may not always work out the way you would like, but it is good to know that it is possible.

The seventeenth story stuck out to me because I believe that it is important to inform students about things they will most likely experiment with anyway. There are a lot of people in the education field (sex-ed teachers and principals, especially) who don’t feel comfortable sharing certain facts about sex with students. Like I said, students will most likely experiment with sex regardless of what they are told in sex-ed class. But that’s not the scariest part. If they are not allowed to ask questions and only receive the information that the teacher feels comfortable providing, they may be misinformed or confused. I like the way the teacher in this story took control of the situation and answered the questions in a mature and helpful way. Although students will still be just as likely to experiment with sex, at least they go in knowing a lot more about it.

The eighteenth story jumped out at me because sometimes it is just as important for students to teach each other as it is for me to teach them. I like how this teacher allowed the other students to voice their opinions about stealing the book. They portrayed an important message about how one person’s actions can sometimes affect the entire group. This is a great lesson to teach students of all ages.

No comments:

Post a Comment